Noise is the real enemy when composing music. So the noise pedals should rather be an essential part of your musical gear rather than a luxury.
Guitarists often complain about hissing or buzzing sounds emitting from their tunes, may it be from their guitars, pedalboards, or anything else. Well, the noise pedal is your solution!
We have listed some of our favorite best noise gate pedals in this article to guide you towards choosing the best.
Now let’s see what we have picked out for you!
Buy the Best Noise Effects Pedals in 2020
- Effectively eliminate unwanted noise and hum without altering your tone
- This BEHRINGER product has been designed to compete head to head with leading products on the market
- Preserves the original attack and envelope while leaving your playing and dynamics intact
- Dedicated Threshold and Decay controls plus a Mute mode for awesome flexibility
- Additional Send/Return loop for noise suppression of external effect units
The brand Behringer has always come up with innovative pedals throughout these years. They are known to deliver quality products at affordable prices. NR300 is the perfect example of the noise gate segment. Which is why this is our first pick.
The NR300 functions as two pedals; Noise reduction which will trigger the common noise gate mode and mute mode for silencing the output. The device reduces hum and various other noises without altering the tones. It has two LED screens; one indicating whether the pedal is active or not and the other indicating when it’s suppressing the noise. This adds to the user-friendliness of the device making it extremely easy to use.
Now, even though the Behringer products are known for their quality and durability, this particular model doesn’t keep up to that mark and is quite weak in that regard. Also, one of the weak points of the NR300 is that it can’t deal with extreme noises such as loud buzz and hisses. The device is equipped with all the essential jacks and has an additional send/return loop for noise suppression. Over all the NR300 offers Great value for money because of its capabilities to tackle many low-mid level noises.
- Item weight: 331 g
- Product dimensions: 7 x 5.4 x 12.3 cm
- Color: Black and white
- Batteries: 1 9V battery or an adapter required
We all know that there are many noise effects pedals out there. These pedals work with a special technique. You have to work properly with these babies otherwise your composition will be ruined. Rocketron has some similar qualities. Let’s talk about what to do and what to avoid using this beauty.
The Rocketron will wipe out a hiss and any funky sounds in your composition without altering the originality of the tones. It doesn’t hinder your sustain or cut off; the ends of your notes. With an accurate setup of your signal going from the pre-amp and effects or distortion and effect into the pedal. You will be amazed at how will it clean up all the unnecessary noises and interruptions. However, if you don’t have threshold turned to maximum it will kill the tones and It doesn’t work well with extreme distortion.
- Item weight: 1.28 pounds
- Product dimensions: 10.8 x 3 x 6.5 inches
- Color: Aqua Blue
- Gain reduction: 65db
- Input independence: 470K
- Maximum output: +5dBu
- Maximum input: +5dBu
- Current consumption: 10mA
- Noise reduction: 60dB+
- Frequency response: +1/2dB 20Hz-20KHz.
- Distortion: 0.09%
- Input Impedance: 1M Ω, Output Impedance: 100 Ω
- Running Current: 20mA, Power: DC 9V center -
- Plug in 9v DC Adapter (not included)
- JF-324 Gate of Kahn Noise Gate, NEW mini Guitar effects pedals from JOYO.
As we all know, every pedal is different and unique from one another. These noise effects pedal do wonders for the quality of our tune by toning down any hard interruptions. But, in our opinion, a noise effect pedal will work to a certain extend. For instance, it can destroy harsh buzz, hums or hisses but I can’t cancel out any noises from faulty equipment. Therefore, we recommend to always check the source of the problem before blaming these beauties.
This pedal has only one knob (threshold) and is therefore extremely easy to use. For the exact reason, some people may find that this device has fewer options to work with, which might be disappointing for the professionals. The more you tend to limit noises, the more you can limit sustain and tone. It is smaller than other pedals out there and takes up less room, however, it has a durable & sturdy chassis in additional to the other amazing features, making it a decent substitute to higher-priced pedals. One of the drawbacks of the small size is that it doesn’t have a battery compartment.
- Item weight: 7.8 ounces
- Product dimensions: 2.9 x 1.7 x 2 inches
- Color: Crimson
- Input impedance: 1M Ω
- Output impedance: 100M Ω
- Running current: 20mA
- Power: 9V DC center
- 9V DC adapter required (not included)
- Use it as an inline noise gate or to gate an entire effects loop
- Delivers up to -70dB of noise reduction, and features 8ms to 4 seconds of release time.
- Buffered bypass
- Compact design, rugged chassis.
- 9 volt battery included, and accepts a standard EHX 9.6DC/200 AC Adapter (optional).
The renowned company contributed to the noise cancellation segment with The Silencer. Electro-Harmonix has a good reputation for manufacturing practical and handy products. They always have a creative approach to design. But with this particular baby, they have kept it simple and let the features speak for themselves. Let’s dive into its specifications and recommendations.
The Silencer has built-in effects loop which can be used as an inline noise gate or on a loop to get rid of unnecessary noises. Additionally, having the pedal in front of the amp has no negative effects on the originality of the tones. The basic controls of the pedal include reduce, release & threshold. It can easily eliminate any basic to mid-level noises and calms down noisy effects like flange and phase, however, It struggles to filter loud noises of compression and distortion. The major drawbacks of The Silencer are that it lags while playing with a noticeable effect and it is not quite effective with single coils. This pedal is also equipped with return & send jacks.
The pedal is one of the present est value for money deals out there, as it gives out several features at an affordable price.
- Item weight: 0.8 ounces
- Product dimension: 5.8 x 3.5 x 2.8 inches
- Color: Deep Black
- Noise reduction: -70Db
- Release time: 8ms-4 seconds
- Buffered bypass
- 9V battery (required and included)
- Hard Mode: Provide hard effect of noise reduction
- Soft Mode: Provide soft effect of noise reduction
- Very small and exquisite full metal shell
- True bypass
- DC 9V Adapter power supply
This tiny pedal is a beast indeed. Don’t judge a book by its cover, we have heard this clichéd sentence almost our whole lives. But in reality, this sentence is true. People do judge others based on how they look. Similarly, when the EQ noise killer was introduced to the world, everyone laughed at this poor thing. Now, we can see that this particular baby is owned by almost every single musician out there. Let’s explore more about this baby.
The pedal can be used in either Hard mode where the pedal provides hard effects on noise reduction or Soft mode where the pedal provides soft effects on noise reduction. Like the Joyo JF-324, this pedal also encompasses of one main Threshold Knob. The control interface is simple and easy to use such that the pedal is not crowded with options and various settings, which however, is also one of it’s major shortcomings because people want more. This is the biggest disadvantage of tiny pedals. People want more options to play with, they like to mix and match to make the perfect music which can’t really be achieved by minimalist approach. The Mooer EQ Noise killer is small and light on the pocket and offers numerous features in return that justify its price.
- Item weight: 5 ounces
- Product dimensions: 1.8 x 4.2 x 2.2 inches
- Color: Metallic grey
- DC 9V adapter power supply
- True bypass
- Eliminates hiss and excess Noise from your effects chain
- Single threshold trigger knob
- Reduces noise up to 26 dB, maintaining riff definition at extreme gain levels
- Country of Origin: UNITED STATES
MXR Company is well-known for their amazing product line. Each pedal is has created is a work of art, serene and indestructible. Not only this, but they have also manufactured some ground-breaking pedals to cater to all the needs of players around the world. M195 is ideal for players who use effect loops and large pedal-boards. They work flawlessly by identifying dry sounds and attacking them. Let’s look at its features!
The M195 has a single trigger knob which is extremely easy to operate and handle while a hardcore performance, making it ideal for beginners. The noise can reduced down to 25 decibels which is a great sign and it might work on hard buzzes or other high pitch sounds. It’s ideal and necessary for distortion or fuzz pedals. The quality is a little compromised as compared to other MXR pedals and it also disrupts high-frequency tones.
Input, output, return and send jacks are encompassed in the pedal and the suppressor is similar to the ISP disseminator. A major factor that might hurt the M195’s position among it’s rival is the relatively high price tag.
- Item weight: 1.2 pounds
- Product dimensions: 5.5 x 4.4 x 2.6 inches
- Color: Jet Black
- Batteries: 1 9V battery required
- LED light (blue and purple effects to compliment the color of the pedal)
- The Noise Gate Guitar Effects Pedal from CNZ Audio effectively tames your guitar signal, overdrive pedals, and entire effects chains! This pedal is perfect if you’re trying to reduce buzz in your signal while you aren’t playing.
- The Toggle Switch has two settings, Hard and Soft. The Hard setting adjust the pedal so that it’s release is almost immediate. The Hard setting is perfect for getting rid of unwanted string noise and creating clean silence in between the notes of a heavy-metal riff. The Soft setting eases up on the release and allows it to end less abruptly.
- The Threshold Knob adjusts when the Pedal will begin cutting off a signal. If you set the Knob to -30 DB, the pedal will cut off any signal that is lower than that value. Setting the Threshold to higher values like +10 can create some great effects with Reverb and Heavy Distortion!
- The True-Bypass Footswitch allows for your tone to come through the pedal unaffected in the “off” position.
- Inspire your Music with CNZ Audio!
CNZ audio’s noise gate pedal is versatile and easy to use. This pedal is indeed a show stopper regardless of its size. The pedal satisfies your inner diva with its blue details and a vintage structure. Opening with such good words truly means that this baby is a BIG DEAL. Let’s dive right into our review;
This beauty has two switch settings; hard mode which is perfect for eliminating unwanted string noises and soft mode which eases up the release and avoids abrupt endings. The main threshold knob is quite convenient to adjust cutting of a signal. A -30db sound reduction can be achieved through this device and it can effectively reduce unwanted buzzing and humming. It gets rid of 60 cycle hum and feedback.
It is a simple and easy to use pedals which makes it ideal for the beginners to cut down any unwanted sounds. The control options in this pedal can be customized according to the player’s preference. The setting threshold to +10 works well with heavy distortion and reverb. It has been noticed however that the sound quality is a bit saturated after usage. For some, it might be difficult to find the right balance to cut interruptions correctly. Also, it should be noted that this device is not the most compatible with sustain.
Overall, despite the shortcoming, this amazing noise reduction pedal comes with a sturdy chassis, some amazing features and a very reasonable price tag making it earn a spot among the best noise reduction pedals!
- Item weight: 8.5 ounces
- Product dimensions: 3.8 x 1.8 x 1.9 inches
- Color: metallic cyan
- Includes a true bypass switch
- 9V DC (outside) power supply
- Compact noise suppression pedal for eliminating noise and hum in guitar and bass effects and amplifier setups
- Unique noise detection circuit preserves the natural attack and envelope of an instrument's sound
- Threshold and Decay knobs allow for shaping the elimination/suppression as desired
- BOSS 5-year warranty
All simple pedals have a buzzing sound that can affect the chorus. It amplifies and adds a really bad interference effect which is a major buzzkill for most. As the name suggests, Boss NS-2 suppresses all unnecessary noises giving a smoother and a more refined sound that can enhance your experience. It is an excellent gate pedal which is highly recommended by the majority. This beauty is equipped with all the right tools to deliver the sound you have been looking for.
The Boss NS-2 is an extremely precise device. It offers the exact level of noise suppression you have been looking for. The amp noise is in complete control, the volume remains unaffected by the pedal., the color of the tone remains the same and the buffer helps in the quality of the sound. However, this great precision results in the user taking some time to get used to. Which, in our opinion, should be expected from such an elaborate control mechanism. This device may not be as aesthetically pleasing as some of the other devices on this list, but it sure can give them a run for the money!
- Pedal: noise suppressor
- Battery: a single 9V battery
- Product dimensions: 5.8 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches
- Item Weight: 1.15 pounds
- Threshold knob: limits when the noise should hit
- Decay Knob: controls the sensitivity of the noise suppressing pedal
- Reduction and Mute: control the level of noise
- Three selectable noise reduction ranges
- Reacts gradually to long, sustained notes and quickly to short, syncopated notes
- Fast attack time reserves picking transients and harmonic overtones
- Features a hardwire bypass, precise threshold trigger, and amazingly clean circuitry.
If you have ever wondered how Frank Iero from My Chemical Romance got such a high-quality sound, the answer lies here. MXR M135 is the holy grail of all artists who want a high definition sound without any noise than negatively affects the whole chorus. It has 3 operation modes which effectively make the sound smooth and amp less. You can now easily play all the nuances without the buzzing or humming sound that kills the chorus.
The versatile nature of this device let’s it be used with both bass and an electric guitar. The intelligent gate feature helps in the notes and speed it catches up to, and you can even control the amount of gating. It is a very strong, durable, long lasting and reliable device. We’ve had some people complaint that they do not like how this pedal effects the pitch/tone of the music, however, we would let you be the judge of that!
- Battery: a single 9V battery
- Product dimensions: 5.8 x 4.5 x 2.8 inches
- Product weight: 1 pound
- Threshold knob: limits when the noise should hit
- Operation modes: 3
- Hiss: as the name suggests, this mode limits the hissing sound or any high-frequency sound.
- Mid: you can control the gate effect through this.
- Full: this mode controls the basic or standard noise gate.
- State-of-the-art Multiband or Hard noise gate modes for instant noise removal
- Send/Return for cleaning up noisy pedals or for creative side chaining
- Tone Print enabled - for a world of signature and customizable effects
- Tone Print enabled - for a world of signature and customizable effects
- True or Buffered Bypass
This pedal is a multi-band noise suppressing pedal that instantaneously eliminates all noises that you can experience while playing. You can gate different guitar signals according to your preference. It removes all excess noise without any impact on your sound or chorus. It also gives you control over your sound and how much effect you want it to have. This pedal makes sure your sound is dynamic.
The Sentry Noise gate pedal is riddled with great features including having multi-band noise gate. The TonePrint feature enables you to access any external sound of your choice and preference enabling you to make your own customized tune. It has a hard gate mode which helps in eliminating any excess noise that may otherwise have been left, however, some people complain that the white noise is not eliminated regardless of the claims made.
The body of the device is small & compact and can easily fit on the board. An internal switch helps you in switching between the two bypass- true and buffered. Moreover, the pedal comes with a 3-year warranty.
- True Bypass
- Battery: 9V or 100mA
- Item weight: 1 pound
- Send/return jacks: this shows how separating pedal will affect the sound.
Buying Noise Effects Pedals
What is a Noise Effect Pedal?
Noise gate pedals are made for a few sets of functions. These functions included a cancellation of any unnecessary interruptions such as hiss, hum, and feedback. They tend to eliminate all distractions when they drop from a certain preset level. These super convenient pedals are used by musicians who play rock and metal genres. This is because these genres generate a high amount of feedback and extra noises which can be bad for the ear. You might have gone to a rock concert and enjoyed it, that is only because of these pedals. Failure to use these pedals while performing will result in unpleasant screeches and squeaks. There are many pedals out there to choose from, it depends on the type of song and the player’s preference. Lastly, we will always recommend checking the source of the noise emission. This is because many musicians tend to mistake actual sound noises with faulty equipment noises.
How to use a Noise Effects Pedal?
Before you start working with these bad boys always learn to control the threshold level. This is simple to understand. Noise pedals have this single control knob which is used to set this kind of level within a pre-determined range highly dependent on which brand of pedals you are using. The adjustments can vary from -70db to 10db. When these audio signals exceed this given level the pedal starts cancelling all the excessive unpleasant tunes in your music. Furthermore, some of these pedals have an LED indicator through which you can monitor the activity of the pedal.
Cheap v/s Expensive Noise Pedals
Throughout the article, we have seen pedals ranging from affordable prices to highly expensive masterpieces. When people tend to enter the world of noise gate pedals most of them choose the cheap ones. The whole idea to buy a cheap pedal is that these pedals are not significant to you until you are a hardcore player. By this, we mean people try to avoid using noise gate pedals as some beginners and even novice players think that the sound is perfect on its own. After buying these cheap pedals they often get disappointed. This leads to completely disregarding the idea of owning noise gates.
In our opinion, noise gate pedals are crucial when you want to produce a good quality tune. As we mentioned earlier these pedals not just clear out interruptions. But, they also retain the originality of your tunes. This statement is completely subjective as many people will have a different opinion. However, we would also recommend those people to research before you go online and buy these beauties. Each pedal is unique and extremely different from others. Some pedals are specifically made for genres like metal and rock. While on the other hand some are designed to bear the hard rock and bass genre. These pedals are indeed effective with these genres as metal and rock music comprises of high pitch frequencies. This can explode your ear or made you uncomfortable without these pedals.
Therefore, research, before you buy and even before that, learn to work with these pedals. Every pedal comes with an array of miscellaneous features. If you are a hardcore performer do try every pedal out there!