The guitar effects pedals out there provides guitarists with an edge, but the multi-effects pedal has truly revolutionized the game.
But there are millions of pedals out there to choose from, and the mystery of the day is which ones would be the best pick for you.
..and that is why this article will help you find out which one is the best multi-effects pedal for you.
Buy the Best Multi-Effect Pedals in 2020
- Can power up to 9 effects simultaneously
- Flexible board design - can be separated and used both in a 19” rack with the control board on the floor
- 4 switchable mono-loops for your favorite effect pedals
- Choose from more than 25 different on-board effects
- Fast and smooth preset changes featuring delay spill-overs
This monstrosity is a whole package. For our first pick, the G-system truly stands out. From its fuzzy vintage aesthetics to its performance, everything is worth your and time and energy. Although, this metallic beauty is quite pricy the features it offers, make it worth every dollar.
This device has 25 onboard effects out of which it can power up to 9 effects simultaneously. The sturdy & flexible design consists of various knobs that include Reverb, chorus, pitch shifting, delay, tremolo, boost, (up/down), filter, and comp. The software can be updated via USB input. There are 4 switchable mono loops. There are 100 presets (pre-recorded) and a storage of 200 more on the system.
- World-class collection of HD amps and effects
- More power and flexibility for total creativity
- Professional-grade, backlit footswitches for easy operation
- The command center for your guitar rig
- Now includes the HD Fully Loaded Amp Bundle - a $99 Value
Treat your inner diva with this gorgeous masterpiece. Line 6 is truly a work of art, made with love and utmost intelligence. This beauty is indeed a package. It comes with more than what we want in a pedal. The quality and features are to die for. Let’s explore the wonders of this beauty.
The Line 6 POD has a huge collection of top-notch effects and HD amps. The device is of high power and flexibility encompassing 101+ stomp and studio effects of which any 8 effects can be used simultaneously. It includes 64 presets and 8 setlist banks plus Downloadable POD HD500X software editor.
- A revolutionary fusion of guitar synthesis and powerful COSM guitar modeling
- Up to four sound sources at a time: two PCM synth tones, plus COSM guitar modeling and normal guitar input
- Easy to use and easy to play with hundreds of great, ready-to-use sounds for rock or pop guitarists
- Advanced Roland technology provides superb sound quality and lightning-fast processing
- Over 900 of Roland's latest fully editable PCM sounds, including pianos, organs, strings, vintage synths, and much more
This renowned company has manufactured loads of pedals in its history just like many companies out there. But, this particular pedal is unique and versatile. Appearance-wise, this pedal gives out old-school vintage vibes. The features it offers are exceptional and tick all the boxes of quality and quantity. Now let’s look at what makes this pedal so different.
The Roland GR-55 has 2 models; one with GK-3 Pickup and another one with hexaphonic pickup. It also has a built-in looper and a tuner with an LCD that visualizes all your preferred settings. The modern Roland technology provides high-quality composition and faster processing which capture and modify your sounds quickly and with precision. There are 100+ ready to use sounds available with this beauty. Furthermore, the USB can also be operated through the footswitch.
- Compact and powerful floor multi-effects with a simple knob-based interfaceEight simultaneous effects categories, each with multiple effects typesDial up tones with the ease of using your favorite stompboxesIncludes a massive selection of top-quality effects, from classic BOSS stomps to the latest MDP effectsUpdated flagship-level COSM amps derived from the GT-100Eight multifunction footswitches and expression pedalManual mode for stomp box-style on/off; Memory mode for switching complete patch
- Usb Audio/MIDI interface built in
- Eight multifunction footswitches and expression pedal
- Updated flagship-level cosm amps derived from the gt-100
In fourth place, let us introduce you an utter perfection. The Boss ME-80. Boss is a division of the Roland Corporation which specializes in guitars and bass effect devices. Boss is known for delivering the best products in the market. The quality is outstanding with various feature embedded in these small to humongous beasts. With the same consistency, Boss has manufactures this beauty which is amazing on a whole new level.
The unique footswitch of BOSS ME-80 allows for greater control while reverberation switching or patch selecting. This multi-FX beast is capable of running 8 simultaneous effect categories as well. The powerful floor multi-effects device has a simple knob-based interface which includes the Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble and Level knobs. It is easy to understand with no complex options to worry about. The Free BOSS tune software and the easy downloading of tunes from the Boss website are just cherries on top.
- Controllable amp and stompbox loops use external gear
- Defeat internal amps with the touch of a single button
- Over 160 Amps, Cabinets, Stompboxes and Effects
- 14 Heavy-duty metal switches
- Built-in Expression pedal.24-bit 44.1kHz sample rate
We all know that many people choose single effect pedals over the multi-effect ones. Why is that? The answer is simple. Multi-effect pedals are perceived as daunting by many beginners or mid-level professionals around the word. But, they are not as intimidating as they seem. Let us introduce you to the ultimate beast RP 1000!
The controls are easily accessible and easy to work with and with this device can turn down external amp with the touch of a single button. There are 160+ amps, effects, stompbox, and cabinets plus 200 prerecorded presets and storage space for an additional 100. It includes 2 XLR outputs, effect loops, USB port, amp loops, 9V DC jack, and headphone outlet. ihe Interface knobs include Tempo, Stomp loop, effects matrix, Bank (Up/down), etc.
The built-in expression pedal is user-friendly. Almost any type of musician can work with this beauty. The stompbox loops and controllable amp use the external gear. And finally, The sturdy metal chassis is embossed with 14 heavy-duty metal switches making the Digitech RP 1000 a worthy piece true to its heavy price. The pedal is built like a tank and will cater to all your composition needs.
- Includes a Power Supply!
- A total of 100 preset programs are categorized into styles such as rock, blues, metal, and pop
- Easy to use interface; even novice users can instantly access the sounds they want!
- StompLab IG provides 103 types of modeling effects, StompLab IIG provides 104 types, StompLab IB provides 60 types, and StompLab IIB provides 61 types
- Each effect model boasts a sound engine that has been distilled from the worldwide best-selling VT+ series of modeling amps as well as the ToneLab series of multi-effect units.
Where are our rational musicians? The world of stompboxes is developing at a higher pace. Many companies around the world are competing to provide the best. But, there are some instances when you want a cheap package with greater benefits. The Vox stomp lab with an embedded expression pedal is the ideal example of such a piece at a great price and the following features!
The device has 100+ available presets in the categories of pop, rock, blues, and metal plus 48 effects including delays, drives, modulation, wahs, compression, etc in addition to 104 modelling effects and 44 amp plus 12 cabinet simulations. As the previous members of our list, this device can also use 8 effects simultaneously. There’s a built-in tuner which allows you to adjust any odd noises in your composition. The interface is easy-to-use. Vox Stomp lab IIG 2G Guitar Multi-effects pedal can be operated in 2 modes; edit & program.
Another budget family pedal coming through! This squared creature is nothing but a harmonious beauty. The pedal comes with an array of options and effects to choose from. This means that the musician can be creative with his/her composition. Pedals like these are a musician’s dream because of their thousands of features offered at an economical price. The orange and blue contrast makes it more appealing and the real boss. Now, let’s take a look at this monstrosity.
The device has a 100 patches, 80 effects including distortion, compression, and modulation, etc., 14 amp models and 68 rhythm accompaniments. The effects will not only modify the music but they will add a glorious harmony to the overall performance. The built-in expression pedal has additional effects. The Zoom G1Xon incorporates a headphone jack/output, looper, tuner and an auxiliary input jack. The USB port is specifically for installing new updates and versions. The LCD screen provides a visual command system making the pedal easy to operate. The price tag is the biggest plus point about this beast as none can be compared to the package it has to offer.
- New super easy operating system Three pedals plus EXP pedal: Memory Up, Down, Solo Three knobs for real time control and editing. "Sound Library" organized by type: Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, etc. Ten variations within each type Seven effects groups: Comp/FX, OD/DS, Preamp, Modulation, Delay, Reverb, Pedal FX Powerful COSM amp models and effects onboard, from classic to contemporary Super simple user-friendly interface Sound Library provides extensive collection of ready-to-use tones; simply choose
Have you heard about the “BOSS” controversy? Well, we have to admit that not all pedals made by the company are the star products. There are many pedals out there that have suffered major backlashes. But, we can’t debate over the quality of Boss products. Every pedal from Boss is sturdy and built like a tank. ME25 is one of those, let’s see what we adore in this baby.
the Boss ME25 is stocked with a sound library (Rhythm, clean, crunch, etc.) which also provides an extensive variety of ready to use tones. There are 10 variations within each type of 7 effect groups. The pedal can be diversified with Cakewalk SONAR LE software through the USB port. External sources such as MP3 or CD player can be directly connected to the pedal plus this pedal can also be used as an audio interface when connected to a computer. In addition to the built-in tuner; the built-in looper has a recording time of 38 seconds. There’s a Super Stack feature to recreate stacked tube amp. This user-friendly device is easy to set up and really enhances the quality of the sound quickly, without any unnecessary saturation.
- 68 of the highest-quality digital effects onboard, plus 10 ultra-realistic amp and cabinet emulators
- 100 custom-crafted effects chains by pro guitarists, up to nine effects deep
- Control input for external footpedal
- Stereo/mono Looper allows recording of up to 80 seconds
- Use as a USB audio interface with Mac/Windows
In the world of stompboxes, detail and precision hold the most value. Musicians around the world crave a nice pedal with multiple features with a nice price tag. It is human psychology, people tend to buy commodities that derives them the greatest amount of satisfaction regardless of the price. Of course, this statement is highly debatable it’s more a matter of interest. Zoom is one of the many companies that has excelled in making some groundbreaking products. Gn5 is one of them.
Zoom G5n has a built-in expression pedal with a 26 amp models, 100 effects and 124 patches I addition to 68 built-in rhythm patterns. 9 effects can be played simultaneously. The 100 onboard high-quality digital effects make the composition harmonious and sophisticated. There’s an audio interface for Windows/Mac which is convenient to use and work with. The looper recording time is a good 80 seconds. The chassis is sturdy. This makes the pedal durable and reliable containing a stereo output.
- Advanced COSM amps that model vintage amp tones and delivers never-before-heard tonesImproved EZ Tone with graphical Tone Grid for constructing new patchesAMP Customize and OD/DS Customize lets you easily create original amps and overdrive/distortion by customizing their behaviorNewly developed ACCEL pedal for simultaneous control of multiple parameters2 LCD displays (132 x 64 dots, backlit LCD)MIDI connectors (in, out)44 effectsProgram memories: 400 (200 user + 200 preset)USB connector
- Dynamic Range 100 dB or greater (IHF-A)
Technology has done wonders for our world. There are manufacturers out there who are working day and night to give us the best of all. It is indeed a fact that Boss products are innovative and highly appreciable in the music community. BOSS has made the record of inventing some of the groundbreaking innovations of all time. Their GT series is versatile and caters to all the necessities and wants of a musician. They have a good reputation and a wide range of products with varied price ranges targeting almost all segments of the market. GT-100 is known as the best.
There’s an improved EZ tone including graphical tone grid for constructing new patches and advanced COSM amps that reflect vintage amp tones in the Boss GT-100. The device allows for OD/DS and AMP customization. There are 200 preset effects and storage space for an additional 200 by the user. There’s a bunch of new features in this beauty like the 2 new amp models released (ORNG rock reverb and BGNR UB metal), the new MDP effects, the enhanced USB/MIDI interface and the free available software V 2.0.
The pedal has a comprehensive and clear manual. The knobs and switches are easy to operate and play with. It offers a range of modern features. The pedal is unique and has all the latest updates required. You just can’t get bored with this beauty. The pedal is diverse. It can adapt to almost any genres including metal, rock and even pop.
Buying A Multi-Effect Pedal
What is a Multi-Effect Pedal?
A multi-effect pedal has digital circuitry. They are different from the old school analogue pedals. A multi-effect pedal has an essence of modern technology embedded in their sturdy chassis. Some of them are compatible with your computer, you can simply connect them via cable. They provide an audio interface on your computer. You can also download certain software for editing and control, not only this these effects pedals also use DSP chips.
On the contrary, many people have still not approved these digital pedals as they disrupt the originality of composition. They sound too “processed” and saturated while analogue pedals maintain the true tones of the music. Furthermore, these pedals are ideal to work with when you don’t know what effect suits your preference. You can choose between overdrives, choruses, delays, reverbs, tremolos or any existing effect with just a twist of a knob.
- These beauties can load a tone of effect and combinations with a single flick of a switch;
- They make it much easier to experiment and play with sound you don’t want to buy individually;
- These pedals can be powered by a single power unit rather than multiple units from a power brick;
- You can easily edit and control the activities on your computer screen;
- Multi-effect pedals have spacious memory locations in which you can save your favourite composition;
- Buying a multi-effect pedal is economical. Even though some pedals can clear out your bank account but there are thousands of options to choose from. Don’t worry we have listed some budget-friendly pedals for your convenience.
- As versatile these pedals are the LCD screen doesn’t reflect this quality. The screen is small and pretty boring to use;
- The presets are average and need some tuning and editing to sound exceptional;
- Having multiple options is confusing for beginners. In some pedals, all options sound relatively the same. It will make it harder for the player to choose one favourite effect to buy an individual stompbox.
Types of Multi-Effects Pedal
Gain-staging Effects Pedal
Range from pedals as mild and calm as a clean gain boost to animalistic fuzz effect
- Gain boost: also known as a clean boost. These pedals are designed specifically for high impedance guitar signal
- Overdrive: imitates the sound of your turning up the valve amp as loud as it can go.
- Distortion: a hard-clipping device. Ideal for metal, rock, and punk.
- Compression: quite self-explanatory, these beauties compress the loudness and sharpness of a composition to make it soothing.
- Volume control: perfect for smoothing out the tones and create a sophisticated for your music with subtle fade-outs.
Frequency Effects Pedal
These pedals cater to all the work of the frequency domain.
- EQ: ideal for frequency adjustments, correcting problems in your tone and moulding the harmony.
- Wah-wah envelope filter: provide clean and precise rhythms to your funk and disco music by rocking your foot.
- Pitch shifter/harmony: these pedals work best when you have to compose a unique, out of the box type of music. It gives the tones a melodious effect.
Modulation Effects pedal
These pedals are a blend of frequency and time effects pedal.
- Tremolo/ Vibrato: Based on simple LFO that modulates one tonal element
- Chorus and Flanger: these two effects are quite hard to differentiate. The main difference is that the chorus more spacious and noticeable delays whereas a flanger produces distinct up and down sounds.
- Phaser/Phase shifter: they use the method of phase cancellation to create an array of frequencies at evenly spaced intervals.
Time Effects pedal
It creates a soft and melodious effect with spacious textures.
- Delay: Takes in original incoming signals and repeat it multiple times later.
- Reverb: some are purely synthetic, others are the classic analogue-reverb type such as plates.
Other Effects pedal
These pedals are fit outside a normal/typical pedalboard arrangement.
- Amp emulation: lies somewhere between overdrive and distortion.
- Instrument modelling: go well with acoustic guitars.