Got an acoustic guitar with a built-in pickup and you’re wondering about its awful sound and the distortion? Its probably because of the factory-installed preamp!
An external acoustic guitar preamp pedal is the solution towards increasing your audio quality!
In this article, we’re going to guide you on how to pick the right acoustic preamp pedal and also recommend some of our favorites on the market.
Buy the Best Acoustic Preamp & Pedals in 2020
- Adjustable gain for both passive and active pickups
- 5 band EQ with tunable low-mid and high-mid bands
- Garret Null notch filter for effective feedback control
- Full chromatic tuner with footswitch mute/tune function
- Adjustable volume boost footswitch
LR Baggs Venue DI Acoustic pedal is a pedal made especially for those musicians who travel a lot. You just need to plug it in, few tweaks and you are ready to play. You are going to love this one, because it’s beautiful and works like a charm. You will find a send and return input for the loop of effects in this. It also has an XLR output for convenience.
It can power up with an adaptor or a 9V battery. It’s a perfect tool for a travelling musician. Venue DI is overall a great pedal. It has all those features that an acoustic guitar player needs. It produces a breathtaking sound and the build is strong. The only thing that they could have made better is the tuner. It’s not that responsive. The boost is also not much adjustable, so it’s hard to meet the demands of different people. The price is also not that affordable. If these three things are not on the top of your priorities, then it will work great for you.
- 6-band EQ for meticulous tone sculpting
- Variable high-pass filter for best sound and feedback control
- Phase inversion for both passive and active pickups
- 3 position gain switch for easy level control
- Garret Null notch filter tames resonant feedback
A vintage compact pedal made by LR Baggs is one of those preamp pedals that everyone in the acoustic guitar community desires. It’s the second pedal on our list from the same brand. LR Baggs is a brand that everyone loves and trusts in this part of the world.
They are not a new brand, they started operating in 1978, and since then they have delivered hundreds of amazing pedals. If you need a perfect equalizer for your acoustic guitar, don’t miss this one. This great equalizer is made by LR Baggs. You are getting all the top features that you need in an equalizer- notch filter, phase inversion, and a six-band EQ. An extremely easy-to-use pedal with a beautiful, sturdy design to fix all the problems for you.
- Acoustic-electric guitar preamp with advanced BOSS sound processing
- Sophisticated under-the-hood processing with multiple interlocked parameters, accessible with simple stompbox controls
- Acoustic resonance reproduces the complex resonance characteristics of an unplugged acoustic
- Ambience knob provides wide-ranging, studio-quality reverb optimized for acoustic guitar
- Notch filter for instant feedback reduction
Boss, a brand that has played a big role in shaping the music. The quality of products from this brand is just top-notch. The Boss AD-2 is another product of this brand that has made the list of best pedals. It is a pedal with a strong build, a classic Boss design.
This Boss product will be an excellent choice to add it to your rig. It’s very easy to use and the way it enhances your sound, you will just fall in love with it. You are also not paying a huge amount of this pedal. A short amount of money for something that’s going to last a long time. They could have just worked on the ambience effect better as sometimes it can get very hard to tweak that one. Other than that, it’s a great pedal.
- With a high-quality preamp, dual effects section, tone controls, a compressor, level booster and a balanced D.I. — it’s got everything you need in one box
- Its analog signal path goes from end to end — from preamp to output — to give acoustic musicians a richer tonal quality
- Flexible outputs include a 1/4″ amplifier output and XLR D.I. output for the lowest noise possible
- With Fishman, you get quality discrete class-A signal conditioning created by the leader in instrument preamp design
- Legendary 4-band equalizer design provides superior tone control for any acoustic instrument
Fishman is a name that everyone is aware of. It’s a brand that’s providing us with amazing stuff like preamps, amplifiers, pickups, and accessories over the years. It also has a line of effect pedals. The Fishman ToneDEQ is a special pedal.
It’s the first processor from Fishman that combines digital effects, preamp, and DI into one. It can be the all-in-one problem solver for your acoustic guitar. You are going to love this pedal. This Fishman pedal is an amazing tool. Adding this to your collection will solve the problems you are facing. Not only that, but the design is eye-catching. It will make your whole pedal setup look great. It’s not that affordable, but the sound quality you are getting in this price point justifies all the money you spent.
- Professional preamp/DI for performing and recording with acoustic-electric guitar
- Acoustic resonance restores the warm and rich resonance lost with most pickup systems
- Four-band EQ and variable low-cut filter tuned to deliver optimized tone shaping for acoustic guitar
- Multi-band compressor with MDF technology provides transparent dynamics control
- Newly developed Anti-Feedback functions control feedback while maintaining balanced tone
Another product of Boss in the list, that means this is a brand that you can count on. It’s one of the most trusted brands in this part of the world. In Boss AD-10, you will find any kind of feature you can think of. They have added every feature that was available in the market in this one.
It’s the most versatile pedal in the market. You won’t find any other pedal that is this much flexible. It has a lot of features, so let’s talk about them now. Boss AD-10 is one of the greatest pedals ever made. It’s a pedal that has everything an acoustic guitar player will ever need. Every single feature that you need for a live performance, recording session or anything else is available in this one.
MXR is a brand that you can trust. It’s a brand that many famous rock stars believe in. MXR has provided us with some of the best pedals. This model M108s has ten EQ bands, that can even reduce and increase up to 12dB. It’s one of the most flexible EQ pedals in the market. The build of this pedal is very strong, so you won’t have any problem taking it with yourself on tours.
The design is also compact and simple which means that you are not going to compromise on anything. It also has an LED Light on every slider for tweaking on the stage. This MXR Pedal is a very flexible one. You can tweak it according to your needs and benefit from its ten-band EQ. You can even reduce and increase the frequencies, on top of that you can also add more gain and volume. This pedal is as strong as a tank. So if you buy this, you won’t have to buy another pedal to replace this for years. Some people also said that this stopped working after a short period of time, but trust me, it can happen with any kind of pedal. It’s an affordable one that means you are not even going to waste a hefty amount of cash, even if it doesn’t go according to your needs.
- The Aura Spectrum DI features award-winning Aura Acoustic Imaging technology that enables players to mix studio-mic’d sound with the signal from their undersaddle or soundhole pickup
- 128 pre-loaded Images for use with the most popular acoustic instruments
- Instrument preamp with balanced XLR D.I. output
- Built-in chromatic tuner with bypass/mute
- USB interface for Image downloading from Aura Image Gallery (software included)
This is the second Fishman pedal that has made the list. When you will take this pedal out of the box, at first you will be confused. It has a lot of knobs so when you first look at it, it’s going to seem difficult. But once you start using it, everything will seem easier. The best feature of this pedal is the Acoustic Imaging function.
The sound produced by this is the mix of two things, original signals, and studio mic. It will make any pickup sound like a great studio mic. It comes with 128 images that are on the edge of a twist of the central knob. Fishman has made a great DI Pedal. It’s not that expensive as much so you are not going to pay a huge amount for this. This pedal is very flexible, but because of that, it’s not that easy to use. It takes time to understand this fully, which can sometimes be a headache. But you have a lot of presets in this so you can always select them if you are not up for it.
- 16 source guitar type presets for accurate tone reproduction and 15 target guitar type presets for tonal refinement
- Includes high-quality preamp, built-in compressor, 9 adjustable effects, piezo/magnetic input pickup select, and 3-band equalizer
- Input and output gain/sensitivity adjustable via single volume knob (patent pending)
- Anti-feedback control and built-in chromatic visual-led Tuner
- Boost switch for up to 9 dB of additional gain
If you are one of those players that love the full control on their pedals then this is the one for you. Zoom AC-3 is the perfect option for you. It focuses on all the tiny details that you need to work through. It has 15 target guitar types and 16 sources. It means that when you are using this pedal, you are the one in charge.
This has everything an acoustic player will ever need. If you are taking this on a tour, you won’t need anything else. Zoom AC-3 is one of those pedals that can help you control everything. You are compromising on nothing. The price point you are paying for this one is also not that much. It’s a great value for money product. The only thing this pedal is missing is the looper. Other than that, you have everything you need. If you like a pedal that is sturdy and going to stay with you for a long time. This is the perfect option for you.
- Compact, all-in-one preamp and effects solution for singers who play acoustic guitarDial in rich, sophisticated BOSS sound processing with simple, intuitive controlsStudio-quality vocal processing includes four types of ambience effects plus Enhance, chromatic pitch correction for live vocal tuning, and moreCreate natural vocal harmonies in real time based on guitar input or manual key settingsAlso includes a vocal doubling effect, plus more dramatic processing like hard-tuned electronic voices,
- The Package Height of the Product is 5 inches
- The Package Length of the Product is 13.25 inches
- The Package Width of the Product is 8.5 inches
Boss VE-8 Acoustic singer is a pedal that’s not going to just enhance your guitar sound but also your vocals. This pedal is from a trusted brand, which means you are not going to waste your money on this one. This is the 3rd pedal that has made the list.
This means that Boss is one of the best brands out there. Other than that, this has a strong build.
It also has a lot of other features that you won’t find on any other pedal. So let’s start with the features of this one first. If you look at the overall features of this Pedal, then you will understand that you can fully control everything with this one. You are not compromising on anything. It’s a great pedal that will make your vocals and guitars sound great. The build quality will amaze you. But you will really need to read the manual to fully understand this one. It’s not that easy to work it through. This one is not compact, so if you have a small space in your pedal setup then this is definitely not the one for you.
Grace Design entered the market again with a powerful preamp with this one. It’s a sturdy pedal that offers a wide variety of tone-shaping options. It’s also quite flexible if you just look at it. You will be shocked when you take this powerful beast out of the box. It has a lot of knobs that can modify many things.
This is a pedal that’s not cheap, but the features you are getting at this price makes it worth it every penny. You are never going to change this pedal with anything else. So let’s talk about its features. This one is a true beast when it comes to performance. There’s no other pedal that comes close to the quality of this pedal. It’s expensive, but every penny is worth it. Once you add this one in your rig, you are never going back. You will use this every day of your life then.
Buying Acoustic Preamp Pedals
Now we have seen all the best pedals on the market. Making a decision is not going to be that hard for you. Every pedal has a different function with a different limit. It really depends on personal preference. But to make the best use of this pedal, you will need to understand how to use a pedal. Only then you can add it in your rig and benefit from it.
An acoustic guitar is a great thing on its own, but adding a good pedal in the rig will make it sound better and also make your experience better. Adding just one pedal in your chain will change your whole experience. More pedals mean more good. The models mentioned on this list are the best models out there, they are also the most popular. Each one has been selected by the people and is a perfect choice.
There are a lot of companies competing to be the best manufacturer of the pedals. Artists are trying new things and new pedals, which makes it hard to make a decision when you have so many good options in the market. So think about what you want or need and buy the pedal according to it. Believe it or not, but one good pedal will change the beauty of your performance.
Humans are playing instruments who make a sound through the help of the vibration of strings for a long time now. The guitar we all see today is similar to a model that was produced in the 19th century by Antonio Torres Jurado.
What is an Acoustic Guitar?
An acoustic guitar is an instrument that produces its sound through the vibration of strings above an empty hole in the guitar’s body. The vibrations work through the air and don’t need an amplifier to produce sound. This is one of those guitars, that can be used as any type of guitar, it offers great versatility
What are Guitar Pedals?
Guitar Pedals are something you will be aware of if you are a part of the Guitar world. They are also known as stomp-boxes. It’s a very useful tool, it can shape the sound of your guitar however you want. They are also called foot-pedal boxes because they are used by your foot. There are a lot of types of different guitar pedals you will see in the market.
Types of Guitar Pedals
- Clean Boost
How to Choose an Acoustic Guitar Pedal?
First of all, you need to see if your guitar is a good one. If you are thinking that it can change a bad sound of the guitar into a good one, no it can’t, it only tones sound to make it sound better. Pedal, the processor or amplifier can’t help you if your guitar sounds bad, you first need to get yourself a decent guitar.
After that, you need a decent amp. No matter how good your pedal is if the signal is coming from a bad amp. It’s going to sound bad. After that, try to find a product that offers three things, DI, EQ, and effects in one box. It won’t just save you money, but will also make sure that you have a lot of space.
Types of Acoustic Guitar Pedals:
There’s one most common issue you will face while playing an acoustic guitar, that is producing flat sound. Because of no natural reverb, you will need a reverb pedal to produce it for you. A reverb pedal gives you all the control of how you want it and how much you want it. Most Acoustic Guitars also have built-in reverbs, but they don’t even come close to how good a reverb pedal is.
When you will ask about good pedals for an acoustic guitar, you will also hear about, Delay pedals. Well, there are a lot of reasons why you should add it to your pedal setup. That fine delay will make your fat thick tone sound deep. It will even make people ignore the feel of the need for drums and bass. You can also use this pedal to produce an echo.
This is an important pedal in my opinion. Once you add this type of pedal in your setup, you are never going to remove it. The biggest issue you will face with an acoustic guitar is the sound being too loud or too low when Flatpicking or fingerpicking.
A compressor pedal is there to solve that problem for you. It will even out the volume for you between all types of strumming. You just need to tune this pedal according to your need, then it will shape the tone of your guitar and smooth it out to make it sound more polished.
The last type of pedal for an acoustic guitar is Tuner Pedal. Although there are a lot of guitars that have built-in tuners if you are a serious guitarist, you can’t really depend on them because they are not that accurate. A tuner pedal is great because it tunes the guitar perfectly according to your needs. It’s a must-have pedal if you are a live performer.
When you are doing a live performance, you will need to tune your guitar again and again. You will face even trouble tuning because of the huge noise around you. That’s when the tuner pedal comes into play. You don’t need to wait a long time, just set it up, tune and start playing.